- 2 - teaspoons vegetable oil
- 1 - small onion, finely chopped
- 2 - teaspoons minced fresh ginger
- 1/2 - teaspoon salt
- 1 - cup long-grain rice, rinsed
- 1 - cup cooked red, pinto, or black beans
- 1 - (13.5-ounce) can Coco Lopez® unsweetened coconut milk
Preheat the oven to 375. Heat the vegetable oil in a 9-by-5-inch flameproof baking dish. Add the chopped onion and cook over moderate heat, stirring, until the onion is softened, about 2 minutes. Add the minced ginger and cook for 1 minute longer. Add the salt and the long-grain rice and mix well. Stir in the beans and the unsweetened coconut milk and bring to a simmer.
Remove from the heat and cover with foil. Bake rice in the oven for 15 minutes. Let stand, covered, for 5 minutes before removing the foil. Serve hot.
*Reprinted from Food & Wine 1995 Annual by permission of Food & Wine.