- 1 - chicken (about 3 1/2 to 4 pounds), cut into 8 even-size pieces salt and freshly ground black pepper, to tast
- 1 - tablespoon vegetable oil
- 2 - tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1/4 - cup finely chopped shallots
- 1 - clove garlic, minced
- 1 - tablespoon finely chopped candied ginger or fresh ginger
- 2 - cups Coco Lopez® unsweetened coconut milk
- 1/4 - cup orange marmalade, or to taste
- 1 - cup diced fresh papaya
- 1 - cup diced fresh mango
- 1 - cup diced fresh pineapple
- 1/4 - cup cashews, lightly toasted
- 1/4 - cup toasted coconut
Wash the chicken and blot dry with paper towels. Season with the salt and pepper. Heat the oil in a large sauté pan. Brown the chicken on all sides, 3 to 4 minutes. Transfer the chicken to a platter and pour off all the fat.
Melt the butter in the pan. Sauté the shallots, garlic, and ginger until soft but not brown, about 2 minutes. Return the chicken to the pan and stir in the coconut milk, marmalade, and salt and pepper.
Simmer the chicken, uncovered, until almost cooked, 15 to 20 minutes. Stir in the fresh fruits and the cashews, and cook the chicken through, about 5 minutes more. Correct the seasonings, adding salt and pepper to taste. If the sauce needs sweetness, add a little more orange marmalade.
Transfer the chicken to a bowl or platter and spoon the sauce and fruit over it. Sprinkle the toasted coconut on top and serve at once.
* Excerpted from Steven Raichlen's MIAMI SPICE. Copyright© 1993 by Steven Raichlen. Used by permission of Workman Publishing Co., Inc., New York. All Rights Resewed.